Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The climb: August 17th-23rd

Wow. I have few words to describe the climb. It was momentous for my students, for my friends and for me. I am so proud of my kids, for how far they pushed themselves physically, emotionally, and culturally. They embraced new food (first time eating peanut butter, cheese and tuna salad for most of them), they opened up about their personal lives, and climbed longer and higher than ever before in their lives. They were vomiting, wobbling and worn to the bone. We all experienced great discomfort, but no pain no gain eh?

Kilimanjaro was more than a mountain. It was a place for growth...for all of us, American and Tanzanian alike.

We climbed much more than Kilimanjaro. We experienced more than simply reaching Gilman's peak at 5300 meters. We grew as human beings, under the majesty of a nearly full moon, under a full sky of stars and under the rooftop of Africa.

And I am left speechless.

I will be processing this past week for many days, weeks and months. I promise I'll get back to ya'll soon with pictures. We'll be posting them as soon as possible.

Tupo pamoja. Nguvu ni umoja.